More on the anonymous girl rape video..
It looks like the best way Saudis improve their life and their country is through public shock, anger, and internal pressure. This has been the case with “The Qatif Girl” rape incident which shook the world when the victim was sentenced to 200 lashes and prison time and then pardoned by King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia; well, Saudis were never more furious as this time with the “The anonymous girl” raped by 5 Bengalis because this time there was a heartbreaking video (I’ve received the video long before, but did not want to be the first to publicly display it on the internet)
Soon after the news was made public, Saudis created a facebook group labeled “The national campaign for the struggle against Bengalis“, shared related articles and news, and suggested cures for the mass trauma caused by individuals belonging to an ethnic group which has been long thought of as “poor peaceful people”. Around the 11th of Janurary, many Saudi journalists, newspapers, and online news websites published articles which concluded that:
- The Bengali council: “Our citizens count 1.5 million in Saudi, and the number will double soon”
- The bengali council: “We have recieved no official complaints regarding our citizens status or behavior”
- The Bengali council accused Saudi journalists of demonizing Bengali workers
Clearly, the intent of such articles -especially that they were published soon after the rape video case- is to further intimidate the Saudi public and persuade Saudi officials to do something about the illegal Bengali aliens whose crimes became almost impossible to fight. Eventually, the pressure caused by Saudis -along with journalists, campaigns, and bloggers- succeeded to convinced the authorities to completely stop all further importing of Bengali workforce.
- The ministry of labor prepared a “secret?” study to temporarily stop importing Bengali workers, leading to a complete prohibition.
- Bengali engineers and doctors only will be allowed to work in Saudi
- Companies and firms will only be allowed a maximum of 20% of Bengali employees.
While the ministry of labor’s decision was a relief to Saudis since it will help stop the increase of crimes, many rejoiced as this will hopefully provide more work for unemployed Saudis in their own country.
This entry was posted on February 27, 2008 at 12:43 am and is filed under News, Only in Saudi Arabia, Social with tags bengali, girl, rape, video. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.